Mark has extensive trial experience at all Court levels.
He has particular expertise in commercial litigation involving contractual disputes, negligence claims and trust litigation. Mark also has an extensive employment practice with an employer focus. He advises on all aspects of employment law, including disciplinary processes, personal grievances, restructuring business sales and health and safety. Mark also conducts independent investigations on behalf of employers. In addition to his trial work, he also has an interest in alternative dispute resolution and regularly acts as both a mediator and arbitrator in commercial disputes.
Prior to joining Holland Beckett, Mark was a partner at another Tauranga based law firm where he headed its Litigation team. He previously worked for two national law firms in Auckland and as a lawyer in Papua New Guinea. Mark has spent many years on various committees of the Law Society. He was the New Zealand Chairman of LEADR, a non-profit organisation which promoted dispute resolution. He is currently the Deputy Chairman for the Resolution Institute, an Australasian wide, multi-discipline organisation for practitioners who specialise in dispute resolution. Mark is also an accredited mediator and is on the Board for the New Zealand Domain Name Dispute Resolution Service.
- LLB, University of Auckland 1987
- Admitted to the Bar in New Zealand 1988
- Member of Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand
- Affiliate Human Resources Institute of New Zealand - AHRINZ
- Bond University/ LEADR Advanced Certificate of Mediation
- Member of the Institute of Directors
- Advanced training through Stratus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University Law School
- Advanced negotiation training through Harvard Law School
- Resolution Institute – Deputy Chairperson