- LLB, Waikato University 1995
- Admitted to the Bar in New Zealand 1995
- Tauranga Sports Rugby Club (immediate past president)
- Bay of Plenty Rugby Union Judiciary Committee (chairman)
- Tauranga Boxing Academy based on Billy Graham’s Naenae Boxing Academy (steering group member)
- Aquinas College Board of Trustees (trustee and immediate past chairman)
John Mackay is a down-to-earth and straightforward lawyer.
He has the ability to translate complicated legal language into plain English so his clients can clearly understand what is happening. This approach is what draws a wide range of clients with an ever wider variety of legal requirements.
He has been described as "timely, knowledgeable and practical" and "one of the best" by clients. He looks after both individuals and businesses.
While John specialises in company, commercial and property law, he enjoys a life long association with the road transport industry. That connection continues through legal advice to:
- TR Group Limited, New Zealand's market leader in trucking solutions;
- Orion Haulage Limited and Actus Transport (NZ) Limited, together operating New Zealand’s largest fleet of auger trucks delivering stock and chicken feed to farm;
- Freight Lines Limited, Streamline Cartage & Storage Limited and Strait Shipping Limited all previously controlled by the Barker Family;
- Bulk Lines Limited, operating a large modern fleet of bulk tipper units based in Tauranga; Seymours Transport Services Limited, a log cartage contractor based in Opotiki.
As a member of the Institute of Directors, John is continuing to develop his corporate governance skills and is putting these skills in to practice on the advisory board of Orion, Actus and Rorisons RMD Limited. Rorison's quarry, process and supply lime to the rural sector in addition to farming in its own right.
John spars at Tauranga Boxing Club and believes his sporting interests are a great asset in the legal world where quick thinking and determination are the traits that most often lead to successful outcomes.