- LLB, Victoria University 1970
- Admitted to the Bar in New Zealand 1971
- Notary Public 1983
Jon was educated at Scots College (Wellington) and Wanganui Collegiate School and completed a Law Degree at Victoria University of Wellington in 1970.
He was admitted to the Bar on 13 February 1971 and after an enjoyable OE, he commenced practice in Rotorua on 4 December 1972. He was a partner in the firm which eventually became known as Olphert Sandford until 1 April 2008 when he left the partnership and established his own firm of Olphert & Associates Ltd. In November 2013, Holland Beckett acquired his practice and Jon is now a Consultant with the firm in its Rotorua office.
Jon has specialised in litigation, predominantly civil and commercial disputes, Estate and Trust disputes, Family Law (primarily relationship property disputes), and appointments as lawyer for child in the Family Court in care of children disputes. In the practice of Olphert & Associates Ltd, he was also involved in conveyancing and commercial work.
Jon has been a prosecutor for the Waikato Bay of Plenty District Law Society and the New Zealand Law Society and is also a trained mediator.
He has been married to Fay since 1979 and they have two children, Michael (who practised law for a number of years before taking up farming) and Jane (who is a practising lawyer).
His interests are jogging and walking, reading, gardening, golf and spending time with the family at their bach at Pukehina Beach.
- Board member of Justitia Mutual Association Incorporated (which undertakes a professional indemnity insurance scheme for lawyers).
- Chairman of the Rotorua Hospital Chaplaincy Committee and a member of the Rotorua Hospital Chaplaincy Trust.
- Member of the Rotorua District Legal Aid Committee, of which he was Chairperson for many years until the establishment of the Legal Services Agency.
- Member of the Council of the Waikato Bay of Plenty District Law Society.
- Chairperson of the Rotorua Marriage Guidance Council (now Relationship Services) from 1976 to 1990.
- Elected member of the Board of Trustees of John Paul College in Rotorua from 1995 to 2001, including Chairperson of the Board for the last 18 months of his second term.
- Member of Rotary Club of Rotorua from 1983 until 2014 and was President of the Club in 2001/2002.
- Chancellor/Legal Adviser to the Anglican Diocese of Waiapu from 1992 to 2006, then chaired the Bay of Plenty Regional Executive of the Waiapu Diocese from 2006 until 2012.