- LLB, Canterbury University 2000
- Admitted to the Bar in New Zealand 2001
Luke specialises in company, commercial, property and employment law.
He joined Holland Beckett in 2006 and was appointed a Partner in 2014.
Luke's experience includes the following:
- Acting for Foodstuffs Members in the purchase and sale of Pak n Save and Gilmour stores in Tauranga and Auckland. Undertaking an independent review of Foodstuffs new structuring and franchise agreements in 2016 on behalf of 320 Pak n Save, New World and Four Square store owners.
- Acting for large and small property owning companies and syndicates on leasing and general commercial advice.
- Advising national roading and construction companies on contractual negotiations with Local Councils and Transit NZ.
- Acting for national and local building companies and property development companies on national and international licensing, contractual matters, drafting building contracts and drafting franchise agreements.
- Advising high net worth individuals and medium size business owners on trust, leasing, farm sales, estate, shareholder agreements and restructuring matters.
- Advising on structuring and preparing contractual documents for numerous charitable trusts including AIMS Games Trust, Legacy Trust, Legacy Funeral Homes Limited, Wright Family Foundation. Tax, structuring and Securities Act 1978 advice to Legacy Trust for the development of the first prepaid funeral trust of its kind in New Zealand where all profits are returned to the community.
- Acting for SME’s on a range of employment matters including appearances at mediation and in the Employment Relations Authority.
- Negotiating and drafting independent contractor agreements for commercial clients. Undertaking constitutional changes for Priority One in 2010 including disestablishment of electoral committee and new trustee appointment provisions.
- Acting for property developers on commercial and property matters including multiple lot subdivisions.
- Negotiating large forestry and kiwifruit transactions for Maori trusts and private clients.
- Residential and commercial conveyancing and structuring advice for private individuals.
Prior to joining Holland Beckett, Luke worked:
- For the Department of Trade and Industry in London in its insolvency law and company department undertaking investigation and prosecutions against directors.
- As an Employment Lawyer for the Federation of Small Businesses (UK's leading small business association) providing advice to members.
- Three years as a solicitor for the firm Langley Twigg (a leading Hawkes Bay commercial law firm) in Napier in the commercial/property and employment teams.
- Board member of Tauranga Chamber of Commerce for eight years, and immediate past President of Tauranga Chamber of Commerce
- Honorary solicitor for the Bay of Plenty Deerstalkers Association
- Pillans Point School Board of Trustee member