Natasha van der Wal
- LLB and BSc, University of Auckland 2007
- Admitted to the Bar in New Zealand 2009
Natasha van der Wal is an Associate whose expertise is focused on commercial law, property law and Maori legal issues.
Natasha advises on a range of property and commercial matters for individuals, corporate entities and local government. She also provides advice on Maori legal issues for individuals, Maori trusts, Maori incorporations and post settlement governance entities.
General commercial and property matters that Natasha is able to advise on includes:
- Sale and purchase of residential properties, orchards, farms and other commercial properties;
- Sale and purchase of businesses and shares;
- Business and governance structures;
- All commercial leasing matters;
- Public Works Act acquisitions; and
- Estate planning and asset protection.
Areas upon which Natasha has advised Maori entities and individuals include:
- Establishing legal structures to facilitate collaboration on commercial endeavours between Post Settlement Governance Entities for various hapu;
- Establishing legal structures for Post Settlement Governance Entity’s commercial, charitable and social endeavours;
- Subdivision, development and sale of land received by iwi from the Crown as part of their settlement redress package;
- Negotiating and drafting new documentation in conjunction with Housing New Zealand in order to allow houses built on concrete slabs to obtain Kainga Whenua loans;
- Papakainga structures and associated documentation; and
- Applications to the Maori Land Court for various matters including partitions, long term leases, change of land status, licences to occupy, boundary adjustments, Maori roadway issues, succession and establishing whanau trusts.
Outside of work Natasha enjoys travelling and makes the most of all the outdoor activities that the Bay has to offer. She is particularly keen on spending time at the beach, running and playing netball.
- Trustee on House of Science New Zealand’s Board of Trustees