- BSpLS / LLB (Hons) University of Waikato
- MSpLS University of Waikato
- Australia New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA)
- Asia New Zealand Leadership Network
- Member of the Institute of Directors (MInstD)
- Sports Tribunal Legal Assistance Pane
- Baywide Community Law Centre
- Rugby Union Referee, Referee Coach and Management Group Member
- Camp Quality Waikato/Bay of Plenty Committee Member
- Volunteer Trainer for Camp Quality Waikato/Bay of Plenty
- Companion on Camp Quality camps
- Trustee of the Zimbabwe Rural Schools Library Trust
- New Zealand Upper Central Zone Rugby League Board Member
- A provider of pro-bono legal services for charities, community and sports organisations.
Sam is a Solicitor in the firm’s civil litigation, employment and disputes resolution team.
He has had experience at researching and drafting submissions, applications and injunctions as well as appearing in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal, Tenancy Tribunal, New Zealand Sports Tribunal, Employment Relations Authority, High and Supreme Courts. These submissions have related to areas of law including defamation, trademarks, copyright, Fair Trading Act, extradition, employment, product liability, Bill of Rights, judicial review, construction, leaky buildings and tenancy.
Sam was born, raised and educated in Tauranga, attending Otumoetai College, before attending the Universities of Waikato and California to complete his tertiary qualifications.
After studying towards his Master’s Degree in Sport and Leisure, Sam worked at Simpson Grierson, a large national law firm in Auckland before moving back to Tauranga and joining Holland Beckett Law.
Additionally Sam has drafted, negotiated, reviewed and given advice on Commerce Commission investigations, Fair Trading Act issues, Consumer Guarantees Act issues, supply agreements, general commercial contracts, venue hire agreements, broadcasting rights, employment agreements, sponsorship agreements, company and not-for-profit governance issues and sport integrity issues.
Given Sam’s postgraduate study he has a special interest in both sport and education law and lectures on Sport Law issues at Toi Ohomai.
Outside of the office Sam is a Rugby Union referee, enjoys running and social sport and spending time enjoying all the Bay has to offer with family and friends.